Last year, Pokémon GO players were dismayed at a five-week-long Kyurem raid rotation during the holiday season. Now, Kyurem is set to return tomorrow but the temperature around this icy Dragon has changed. That is because, for the very first time, Kyurem can be encountered in its Shiny form in Pokémon GO. Bleeding Cool would be honored to help you catch yours. With this Raid Guide, you can prepare a team to take on this Legendary from the Unova region, perfect your catching strategy, and understand Kyurem’s 100% IVs.
Top Kyurem Counters
Pokebattler, which calculates all possible combinations of Pokémon and moves, lists the top 10 Kyurem counters as such:
- Shadow Metagross (Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash)
- Metagross (Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash)
- Terrakion (Smack Down, Sacred Sword)
- Shadow Machamp (Counter, Dynamic Punch)
- Lucario (Counter, Aura Sphere)
- Shadow Hariyama (Counter, Dynamic Punch)
- Shadow Tyranitar (Smack Down, Stone Edge)
- Conkeldurr (Counter, Dynamic Punch)
- Dialga (Dragon Breath, Draco Meteor)
- Shadow Gardevoir (Charm, Dazzling Gleam)
It is recommended to power up your counters as much as possible, but creating that amount of strong Shadow Pokémon with their moves unlocked is a tall order for even the most practiced players. Here are ten additional non-Shadow and non-Mega counters that can help take down Kyurem with efficiency.
- Rhyperior (Smack Down, Rock Wrecker)
- Machamp (Counter, Dynamic Punch)
- Zacian (Metal Claw, Play Rough)
- Burn Drive Genesect (Metal Claw, Magnet Bomb)
- Genesect (Metal Claw, Magnet Bomb)
- Zekrom (Dragon Breath, Outrage)
- Excadrill (Metal Claw, Iron Head)
- Rampardos (Smack Down, Rock Slide)
- Gardevoir (Charm, Dazzling Gleam)
- Haxorus (Dragon Tail, Dragon Claw)
How Many Trainers Are Needed?
Dialga can be defeated with two skilled trainers, but if you cannot guarantee the top counters with maxed-out CP and the best moves, your best bet is to make sure you have three or more players.
Using the Circle Lock Technique to guarantee Great or Excellent throws, along with Golden Razz Berries, is the best way to catch Kyurem. Kyurem has quite a strange catch circle in that it is both far and quite low, so my advice is to be patient while attempting to catch this Pokémon. It may give you trouble at first but you’ll get used to it.
Shiny Odds & 100% IVs
The Shiny rate for Legendary Pokémon is approximately one in twenty.
When looking for a Pokémon with the best stats, the 100% IV Kyurem will have a CP of 2042 in normal weather conditions and 2553 in boosted conditions.
Happy raiding, fellow trainers!